Friday, January 1, 2010

Last Thoughts?

First of all let me say, I would rather have plywood coated with polyurethane in my kitchen than carpet. Or whatever that sub floor stuff is called. That has nothing to do with anything but I was reading a blog where the person was talking about vacuuming her kitchen carpet, which she hated of course and that was my thought.

Last night was New Years Eve and we had fun. Played Pictionary Jr. and the Wii and ate snacks. Too many snacks. The brownies were a cakelike abomination and if Betty Crocker ever does that to me again they will have to kiss my business goodbye.

In the car last night I ran into the top 101 songs of the decade on the radio. Let's just say it was a very bad decade for mainstream alternative music (can those words even be used together?) Maybe my impatience for commercials wasn't the deciding factor for me turning off the radio about four years ago and scarcely turning back on. But I did turn it on and even though almost every song of the remaining thirty-six songs had me saying, Really? This is one of the top 101 songs of the ENTIRE DECADE?! I couldn't turn it off and insisted on listening to the rest. Much to Brent's dismay. Except when we went over to feed the neighbors cat, of course. It's really making it hard to argue that the '00s produced better music than the '90s. That decade is now over and it seemed that no one ever came to a consensus on what to call it. Maybe the whole thing was doomed from the get-go. No really, we were quite blessed during the last decade. I can't complain too much. I shouldn't anyway. The world at large and America though, it was kind of a suckfest overall. If it all means that the last days are here and the second coming is on it's way, I'm more inclined to believe it's being brought on by neglect, cluelessness and stupidity than pure evil.

What can be said about the last decade or the last year? Well, I probably don't have many deep thoughts on the whole thing at this point. Let's see, I know what my least favorite overused phrase of the last year has been. Tender Mercies. Yes, your life may be full of whatever you consider Tender Mercies to be but it's just an expression that I don't care for. That and Moisture. Nope, no deep thoughts here right now. Seriously? Can you think of anything more vile than carpet on the floor in your kitchen?

2 comments:

Anne Chovies said...

Speaking of the '00's, how do you pronouce '00'? Sould we do it like our great-grandparents and say 'ought-zeros"? Or is there a better way? Sounds like, except for the music, you had a good time seeing in the new year.

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

All I can say is that you make me laugh, Cindy!