Friday, January 8, 2010

bad, bad, bad, good

I went to the doctor's yesterday. I've had this pain in my hand since late November. It only bothers me when I write. After a while it looks like I'm trying to enter a penmanship contest with Noah and Noah is winning. I had hoped that the month off of school would cure the pain but I'm noticing it's still there. So I went to the doctor, even though I doubted he'd be able to do anything to help me. I was right. He told me to take lots of tylenol and ibuprofin and get some fat pencils. Maybe that would help. My MIL, Cathy, helped me out when she came over last night by giving me a couple of "My First Tyconderogas" which are about twice as wide as normal pencils. Perfectly suited to four year olds just learning to write and thirty-eight year olds with crippling hand disfigurements. Now to find a pencil sharpener big enough for them. I can picture myself  using them in math class while wearing a green visor with LAGOON written across it, like the one I had in fourth grade. Thanks, Cathy!

Then I asked him if my foot (which was afflicted with plantar fasciitis last spring) will ever return to completely normal. I started running this week again so I thought I'd get his take on it all. You know, since I was there and I wanted to get my copays worth and all. His answer was, probably not (although it has improved considerably). He recommended I give up my hopes of running again and stick with biking, swimming and ellipticals. Yay. I should just skip all of that and start saving up for my Segway. Not sure I'm going to follow the running advice. Maybe if I stretch the feet a lot. I don't know. It's not like I'm 85 years old and I should just roll over and give up.

So I come home, kind of bummed. I get the mail. What do I see? I've been called to jury duty. AGAIN. Okay, it's only the third time (all since Brent and I got married 14 1/2 years ago), and I've never actually been selected to a jury. (How often have you been called to jury duty?) But not really the best timing. I was quite steamed at first, but I've come to terms. Moved on. It shouldn't interfere with things too much if I do get selected. I'm taking two classes this semester. One is at night, the other is online and flexible. Of course I do still have these things called KIDS that I am supposed to be there for when I'm not doing the school thing. Hmm.

Today I go on the internet and read a group blog I like to frequent, FMH. Over there is a post about Michael Pollen. I really like his books and his ideas on food and the American diet. The cool thing is that out there on the internet you can find people, even in the Mormon community, who have interests in subjects no one you know is interested in. And that is a GOOD THING. Yay.

6 comments:

Anne Chovies said...

Sounds like a bummer day. But don't lose hope - your aunt had plantars facia several years ago and is completely over it now. She's been losing weight and occasionally jogs with no discomfort from the plantars facia. We made a wedge about 1.5 foot wide that raised about 6 inches in the distance of 10 inches and she used to do streches on that.

I got called for jury duty once several years ago but the case settled just before trial so I never had to go in. Your cousin got called while he was on his mission but when we told them he no longer lived in the county they let him go.

Hang in there - it'll get better.

Cindy said...

So there is hope! :) And the jury thing probably would be interesting, most trials probably don't last that long anyway.

Marc Gingell said...

Marc has been called twice. I never have. Ever. I think next to my name is the add on "All for biblical punishment" and they skip the whole preliminary step of pulling my name in the first place. haha

Tiffany said...

I have never been called! I have had struggles with plantar facitis too I got these arch support things from SL Running Co and they helped a lot as I'm not running right now you could try mine out and see if you like them or if they help, if you would like.

Gareldine said...

Cindy I noticed that you had a comment about plantars facitis ( sorry about the spelling). Anyway I had that about 2 years ago and my doctor taught me a exercise to do that helps. If it starts to come back I work a little harder to remember to do it. I had been told to stop walking for exercise but 2 years later I am still walking and jogging too. He had learned it from a physical therapist. You do it on the stairs with your heels off and the balls of your feet on. Lower your heels as far as possible and then lift your heels as high as possible. Repeat. I do about twenty at a time then end with heels down and hold for 10 counts. Looks like you have several people with suggestions. I hope something works.

Unknown said...

I was actually on a jury twice. Once in Florida and then when we moved back here. Interesting experience, to say the least, but I don't think I want to do it again!