Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Doll Adoption

Our ward relief society participated in a doll adoption for the Humanitarian Center at the D.I. You got to pick a ratty old doll and bring it home and make it look new again. The finished dolls will be sent to orphans somewhere. So I grabbed the first ratty, hairy doll I saw and brought it home. It ended up being a really fun project for us. Isabella and Zoe had a great time fixing her up and by the time we were done we were a little attached to the doll and a little sad to see her go. I guess you can get a doll anytime and fix it up so we may have to try it again soon. The doll was quite gross and dirty so we gave her a bath in soapy, bleachy water. Then washed her "mass of tangles and fuzz" hair and used a couple big handfuls of conditioner. It took over an hour to comb the hair out with the conditioner in it before we rinsed her out. I also had to sand and file her toe since the previous owner had a good time chewing on it, apparently. The last and most fun part was getting her new clothes and accessories. Great service project for a family!

Before



After

10 comments:

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

What a great idea! It's always nice when the kids can get involved, too.

The Evans Family said...

you guys made some prety impressive improvements - and what a great idea for a project with your kids

Ritsumei said...

Wow. I didn't know a ratty old doll could be made new like that! I'm seriously impressed. She looks great!

Ware Family said...

WOW, I am really impressed with how good that doll looked in the end.
That hair was crazy.

Deborah Allen said...

I was wondering who's doll that was. I couldn't believe that you got that rats nest of a head to look brand new again! Impressive!

Christy said...

great job cindy ! your doll looks so cute !

Tiffany said...

Good job, the doll looks awesome! Isn't your blog private? If so how do you make it so people can see you've posted a new post? LMK, thanks!!!

Cindy said...

Tiffany, I took it off private for a little bit. I may take it back to private in a few days, all the invites will still work. I took the post with everyone's emails off so no one will see them.
I wish you could get the titles to update. I once took it off private for a few hours because I was sick of seeing my Colin Powell video post title on everyone else's blog for a couple months! I know, I'm weird.

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh my gosh...she seriously looked like a new doll! That's so cool. I'm so glad I did it (though mine didn't turn out quite so cute). It's nice to know that some girls out there who have nothing will get them!

Dorine said...

some lucky child will get a beautiful doll!! She will make some one smile! Beautiful job ladies!