Saturday, June 27, 2009

What DO You Do In The Summertime??

First it was all cold and rainy and we didn't know what to do. So we went bowling. Me and the kids. They all kicked my butt. I haven't improved much since I was a girl of ten and on a bowling league with my siblings. What was that score I got on that one game back then? Oh yeah, a 5. Five! Do you know what the highest score in bowling is? That's right, 300. And bowling is supposed to be in my genes. Well, I didn't do quite as poorly this time. Got into the 70s in the second game. And the kids were using the bumpers. The bowling attendant wouldn't let me use the bumpers.

Then it was too HOT! Just a week later. We had to get out of the house. Hot and bored. Bad combination. So into the "big city" we drive. I have a new scheme in mind. I want to learn to play the guitar. I know! My secret calling in life is to play kick *@&* piano on stage while singing songs with thought provoking lyrics. Oh, wait. That's not my life. It's Ben Folds'. Anyway, I haven't given up on my secret, inevitable passion. But I've moved on to the guitar. I thought, since I'm going back to school with hopes of pursuing a degree in elementary ed. some day, that learning to play the guitar could be a fun asset. Do a little "This Land Is Your Land" and "Kumbaya" with the students. Yes, I realize it is not, in fact, 1978. I'll have to learn some new songs. So Zoe wanted to go look at guitars so we headed out to Target. Just window shopping. It turns out that Adam Levine of Maroon 5 has his own line of guitars over at Target, along with a lesson manual with a few of his band's hits to learn to play. Who knew? Mighty enticing, but we're not quite ready to commit just yet.

So from there it was off to PetSmart to browse the pets. We have no pets, as you may know. But it can't hurt to look, right? Stinkiest store I have ever been in. But, pets we did see. Fish, reptiles, vermin, etc., etc. I was tempted to get a simple little goldfish but no one helpful was around and we've already had one regrettable fish incident and didn't need another on our hands. So I needed to know what to do to keep this thing alive at least for a couple of weeks. We all thought the little hamster and white mice were cute, spinning around in their little wheels. But then you see about six of them crammed on one wheel, spinning and spinning and spinning. After a little bit you start thinking too much about those little spinning rodents and you start to get a little nauseous. I start softening though and thinking: Oh, a little pet. Wouldn't it be fun for the kids? But then I remember. Every animal poops. I don't need the extra excrement. I was softening a bit, though. Maybe someday I'll cave in and my poor children will get that furry critter they've been wanting. Maybe a lizard.

We finally left the pet store and made our way over to the shady Jordan River Parkway. The pond and playground were looking up this time around. They've implemented a "Do Not Feed The Ducks" policy (and sign). The place is no longer full of bird doo doo. Or crazy ducks and geese. Yeah, it was fun feeding the birds, but not worth the mess. So I was happy about the change. The kids played on the playground for a bit then we went for a walk down the parkway path. Very patriotic people live by the parkway in this area. There was nary a home without a flagpole and old glory waving. Very patriotic. We made it to the bridge and the wind was kicking up again and the rain was on its way, and Noah was tired of walking. So we made our way back to the car and returned home from our hot summer's day journey.

4 comments:

Kiirsi said...

We go to Petsmart all the time and always come away sad and depressed...those adorable kitties that we can't have because of my allergies!

Hamsters are fun, but every single one we've gotten since we've been married died within a few weeks. So we don't do hamsters anymore. :)

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

I know where you can get a really cute and cuddly "Chihuahua" for really, really cheap!!! The kids would love her! And...minimal poop...

Traci S. said...

If you do decide on a hamster Lauren and I can set you up with a totally sweet hamster cage. It is truly inescapable (and believe me, Lauren's last hamster who is, incidentally, still in our freezer awaiting burial, could not get out of that cage and if any hamster could, he could!). It's down in our storage because it cost like $65 and I don't want to throw it away. Hamsters are really easy and the kids would love it.

The Evans Family said...

I love your posts. I know what you mean about the animals...my kids have been playing with puppies lately, so I'v started thinking maybe, just maybe...and then I always get back to the fact that they poop. So technically we would never leave the diaper stage...someone would always need poop cleaned up. I guess animals are like boats...it's great to know someone who has one. :) And if you need to borrow a guitar, you can use mine...I've had it for several years with a goal to learn how to play, and I've just never gotten around to it - YET.