Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is It Time To Rebuild?

So I'm out of shape. Not only am I out of shape, I'm a broken down shadow of my former self. Back in, when was it? 2004? Back in 2004 I was in optimal condition. Well sort of anyway. I weighed 20+++ pounds less than I do now. + equaling + or - 5 lbs. Don't worry, this isn't turning into a story problem. Or is it? It is a problem. Back when I did weigh 20+++ pounds less, I was in good shape. I had muscles, well muscles as far as I'm capable of building muscles. But I was hungry. Soooo hungry. And I hate being hungry. Not only for the obvious reasons but because it makes me loopy and unable to safely drive or operate heavy equipment, if I were to operate heavy equipment. So I slowly, steadily put back on most of the weight I lost when I decided it was time to lose that baby weight after Noah. Which doesn't count the 30lbs of weight you lose just by thinking about losing weight after having a baby. And now I'm out of shape. A broken woman.
I started exercising. Low impact stuff. Enjoyed the afternoon walking in the beautiful autumn weather. I feel like I could go on doing that forever, it's so beautiful with everything all awash in an orangy fall glow. But soon the winter gray will be here and that doesn't inspire. Exercise+Cold=Bad. Additionally, doing the walking and low impact, wimpy, sort of strenth training has apparently brought toxic poison to the surface with no apparent exit strategy in the form of aches and strangely, itchiness too. So what's a girl to do? Can you rebuild your broken down, self abused body to it's former glory? (Using that term very loosely.) Anyone? Bob? Jillian....? So that's the quest. The goal. To rebuild. Start from scratch. Resurface better than before. But without being hungry. Remember? Hungry is bad. I read this book a couple of years ago when I was still in my obsessed with health and nutrition books phase called the Perricone Diet. It explained how to do such a thing with certain exercises and specific healthy food like almonds, fish, berries, organic milk, etc. And of course there was a whole series of vitamins to go along with the diet that were very specific to it. Coincidentally Dr. Perricone was willing to sell these to you for a nominal fee. But the price was completely worth it and justified you know. ;) So should I go on a diet of nothing but say salmon, blueberries and flaxseed? Sounds like something a grizzly bear might enjoy. But I am not a grizzly bear. Bears are scary. So, balance. Is balance the key? Could be....

12 comments:

Ritsumei said...

Water. Drink more water. My FIL is a chiropractor & he says that you should drink 1 quart for every 50 pounds that you weigh. Plus some extra when you work out. I'll bet that if you do that it'll help your itchyness & aches.

Cindy said...

Good idea. I've been very neglectful on the water lately.

Ware Family said...

You should try Pilates. It's not so high impact that it makes you hungry, but it works and it makes you feel great too. I have a pilates/yoga video that I love. It's nice for winter time when you're stuck inside.
I've had friends use it to lose weight and it's worked for that too.

Ware Family said...

Okay, one more thing.
Sorry.
I'm a nighttime muncher and that is my downfall. I swear by sugar free jello (if you like that kind of thing) at night. The whole pan is like 20 calories.
Good luck.

Cindy said...

Thanks Heather. I do like jello and I'm a night time muncher too. I also like sugary cereal. Not nearly as bad as, say, ice cream and you're at least getting calcium so you can justify it. I love yoga but have to find a better pilates DVD than the one I used to have which was sooo boring.

Jessy said...

I think I'm there with you Cindy. I need help too. I might use some of these ideas for me! I find I feel better when I get plenty of sleep at night. The nights I stay up late, I have a hard time doing anything the next day. Sorry it's not diet/exercise advice, but it's something.

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

I think you should just be fat like me...kidding...just kidding...but am I? I don't want to be alone in this...If only food weren't necessary.

Cindy said...

Kristen,
You are so NOT fat! I'm just sick of feeling old and out of shape!:)

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh you gotta love hitting this time in your life. I hate it. I feel like I come upon it every other week. I'm happy, then miserable, then happy and so on. And I can't seem to lose the million pounds of baby fat after Brooklyn. I swear it gets harder and harder to lose the weight. I also heard Pilates were great to tone up. Core workouts are good too. I don't know...I guess I need advice too!

mommyshan said...

Obviously I have no advice... I am right there with you. I just wish that they would take away my temple recommend for eating so poorly and not excersizing enough. I think that would work for me. :) But since that's not gonna happen, I guess I'll try to look on the bright side that I'll have the extra insulation for the coming cold.

Cindy said...

LOL Shanna, you're so funny! You Word of Wisdom breaker! (I'm guilty too!)

Alicia said...

Ok so, I went to a class at The Difference..and I gotta say, it was great! That's my hope, hit a couple of those and do some other stuff on the side and maybe get rid of some of my own flab!!