Friday, January 28, 2011

How's It?

You're wondering how the gluten free cooking is going aren't you? Not bad, not bad at all. Isabella is up about ten pounds since she cut out the gluten four months ago. I'm such a proud momma! I still worry there is too much cross contamination going on and hidden gluten in foods that are supposed to be gluten free. But you can't argue with results. And she hasn't gotten sick since then either. I've got the cooking down pretty good. I've learned to cook some new things too. I dare say I make some pretty good stir fry and fried rice. And my chicken enchiladas are quite tasty. Have you ever tried rice crispy treats with rice chex instead of rice crispies? (Rice crispies have malt which contains gluten. You'd think RICE crispies would be safe.) They are better than the rice crispy kind.

I'm finding all sorts of places that sell gluten free stuff. Unfortunately they are all in the city on the other side of the mountain. But I get out there frequently enough. I walked into a Harmon's grocery store and nearly cried from happiness last week. They have a huge natural foods section with tons of gluten free stuff. It even has it's own freezer section. And every gluten free item in the store (many that are throughout the store too) has a label on the shelf that says gluten free. So convenient. It's all expensive of course, but that's just the way the gluten free stuff rolls. Maybe someday it will all come down in price. Hopefully by the time Isabella is an adult. Really, more and more people are discovering they have celiac disease. Bad for them but good for the consumer.

So what else have we been making? I found this awesome gluten free baking mix called Pamela's that is so handy for baked goods. We've made mint brownies, chocolate chip cookies, banana nut bread, muffins, it even worked well for our Christmas sugar cookies. It's so much easier than trying to work with a million weird ingredients and has taken out a lot of trial and error. And the price is about the same as mixing a bunch of stuff together so I may as well save myself some stress. I sound like an advertisement here now, don't I?

Still making homemade bread too. I found a simplified recipe off the Gluten Free Goddess blog that I'm liking a lot. I usually change out some ingredients to find a combination Isabella likes (and Brent, he likes to eat the bread too). She complains about a lot of it that it has "that weird taste". I've narrowed down "that weird taste" to either sorghum or rice flour or tapioca starch. Someday I'll figure out which one bugs her but until then we've found teff, millet, amaranth and potato and corn starch make up a pretty good bread.

Yesterday I made up some gluten free energy bars. Kind of like granola bars. They were so good! You should try them. Your kids will like them. Well, mine all did anyway.

Gluten Free Energy Bars

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 3/4 c almond pieces (or other nuts you like)
  • 1 cup dried fruit (I used dried cherries and cherry flavored craisins)
  • 4 cups GF brown rice crispie cereal
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation:
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper

Mix dry ingredients
In a large saucepan melt peanut butter with honey over medium low heat. Stir and watch carefully to prevent scorching. When the mixture is smooth and bubbling cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla and stir to combine. Use a large spatula to stir in nuts, dried fruit and cereal. Stir until all ingredients are coated with nut butter mixture. Spread out on parchment paper. Let cool and cut.

I also added mini M&Ms. Next time I might add some ground flax seed to make it healthier. If you wanted to try them and didn't need gluten free you could use regular rice crispy cereal instead of the gf brown rice variety.


No comments: