Monday, September 27, 2010

We Have Bread!

And it doesn't have any rice in it. I made my first loaf of gluten free bread today. My first loaf of bread ever, really. I know, I'm lame. I'm still getting over that bread making debacle from foods class in 11th grade. The bread is pretty good too. Tastes a little like wheat and a little like something else. I guess that something else would be buckwheat flour, sorghum flour and teff flour. Whatever they taste like. It's healthier than wheat bread too. Take that wheat! I guess teff is the grain that makes Ethiopean marathon runners run super fast and win all the gold medals at the olympics. Good to know, 'cause I could use an energy boost. So the bread didn't rise quite as good as it should have...I think. But other than that it turned out good. I have to give credit to this cool gluten free blogger where I found this recipe.I guess she's spent hours perfecting her bread. The internet is pretty awesome.

I'm guessing it's not supposed to be bumpy on top, but not bad for a first attempt.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me - what did the rest of the family think about its taste?

Cindy said...

It mostly ranged from okays to not bad. Brent thinks it's pretty good. I'm going to try out some other grains, see what we like best that's still healthy.

Kiirsi said...

Great job!!! It's so hard getting used to GF cooking at first. How is Isabella doing?

Kim@GFRealFood said...

Thanks for the link!
If you want a milder flavor in your bread try millet, sorghum and ivory teff. I think that buckwheat is too strong tasting. I have a ton of it and don't know what to do with it. It's just too much for us. For the rising issue,I left a bunch of tips in the comments section of my bread recipe's page. Maybe try some of those and see if you can't get it to rise more and create a fluffier, lighter loaf. I am so glad you liked it as is tho. I can make a wicked good loaf of gf bread but I have to confess I could never make a loaf of wheat bread. It was ALWAYS an inedible brick!

Cindy said...

Thanks, Kim. I will go back and read the comments. These grains are so new to me I don't know what to expect. It will probably take me another thirty loaves before I get everything just right but it's kind of fun trying. Kind of like being some sort of detective!

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

I think it's BEAUTIFUL! It looks, and sounds like it tastes, WAY better than my first and only attempt at baking bread!