Friday, September 17, 2010

Gl, Gl

I'm debating whether I should start a new blog or not. This one will stay around, although it is quite dead in the water at times. I'm going to be rambling on about gluten free cooking a lot so it may be a good idea to make a new blog-call it "The Incompetent Gluten Free Chef". Now you're all gonna want to steal that name. Or maybe I will ramble on about my new adventure here. Who knows for sure today.

I will say this: I am wary of baking with a flour that has garbanzo beans and fava beans in it. Beans in your cookies are just not natural. But the oatmeal raisin cookies did turn out pretty good. So maybe I'll give it another try. A side note, I don't know all the rules on oats yet. You can ONLY use oats that come from dedicated fields (not contaminated by those evil grains). And I've read some stuff that says you should only eat oats after you've been off gluten for a while and healed up. Something about oats, they don't have gluten but their genetic composition is slightly similar to wheat. Or something like that. I don't know. I could be wrong there. In other good baking news: I bought a Namaste gluten free spice cake mix. Ten thumbs up from everyone here (two per person, not ten, we don't have fifty thumbs collectively). A little denser than regular cake but good still. Almost brownie like but not quite. Makes me think their brownie and blondie mixes must be pretty good. They also don't have a hundred ingredients like a regular cake mix. Only the basic stuff so it's probably healthier.

The other good news is my recurring dream with the words "gluten free" floating around freely has stopped. I was probably mumbling "gluten free" in my sleep. Then there was the worst dream. Gluten Free and Glen Beck. It must have been some sort of "GL" theme. Very disturbing. I really want to go order pizza now. (Nothing to do with my weird dreams, I just don't want to cook dinner.) No? Then tostadas it is. I wish I would have remembered the guacamole.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marian wants me to tell you: Betty Crocker is now offering gluten free yellow cake mix and choc chip cookie mix and brownie mix. She has only tried the brownie and yellow cake mixes - and they are delicious. They can be found in some grocery stores on the aisle with the regular cake mixes.
Also - after trying several brands of ready-made bread and several recipes for homemade gluten free - none of which was very good, She has discovered Udi's bread is delicious, good and like real bread. It can be purchased at Whole Foods and is made in Colorado. Hope this is helpful. Love you all.

Cindy said...

Thanks Cathy/Marian!
I actually have the brownie mix in my pantry but haven't made it yet. I'm glad to read the review of the yellow cake mix as we have a birthday next week. Do you think it's good enough to satisfy a non-gluten free girl on her birthday or should I make two- one regular and one gluten free? Oh, and I have a loaf of Udi's in the freezer. We haven't tried it yet. I don't like that it's pretty much fiber free though. I have a goal to try to make my first loaf of gluten free bread by the end of the month. I better hurry!

Marc Gingell said...

I made some gluten free cupcakes and they also turned out pretty well. Kids loved em. They were a little grainy in texture but tasted good.

My flour is not your flour. I wonder how much of a difference in texture there is with them. I should try a couple. One day when I bake again that is..... haha Slacker school mommy.... :)

kim@GFRealFood said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the bean flour. It is disgusting. When we first went GF I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour. That was the first and last time I ever bought an all purpose flour. I make my own all purpose flour now. (It's in my blog) That experience is likely what drove me to make EVERYTHING from scratch. I just won't pay big bucks for premade, inferior anything. For the first year plus of being gf I also refused to try to make similar gf substitutions for old favorites. It was just not the same and it was always a disappointment. Bread is at the top of that list. No GF bread, even mine which we love, is as good as fluffy white wheat bread.