Monday, September 28, 2009

Insanely Stupid

I do not have my finger on the pulse of all things tween. I tend to think that despite that, I'm still a good mom. I've still got the whole Big Picture thing going for me. Today, however, I almost blew it as a tween mom. Tomorrow is Zoe's 10th birthday. Today I got a phone call from her soccer coach and was offered free tickets to Miley Cyrus. Of course I said,"Woohoo! She's going to love that! I'm going to be a hero! Thank you so much!" Okay, I didn't really say that. What I said was "No thanks, it's Zoe's birthday." The coach's response was, "Oh, she's having a birthday party?" My response to him was, "No". So I say goodbye and hang up on the man who just offered me FREE tickets to Myley Cyrus on my daughter's 10th birthday. Immediately I know I am now in the doghouse. She's going to hear about this. She's going to be sad because her BFF is going. I've just ruined my kid's birthday!

Isabella is going to hear about this too and how I could have gotten three tickets. Isabella asked me why we couldn't go to her concert a couple of years ago. My response, "I didn't even know she was coming until the day after". See, no finger on the pulse of what tweens want there. Then she asked last summer, "Why can't we go to Stadium of Fire and see the Jonas Brothers?" I answered, "Because we don't like giant crowds and traffic on the 4th of July and Stadium of Fire is just a little too Republican Rally for our taste. I prefer my holidays nonpartisan." (Don't be offended by this anyone, I'm just joking. I've never been there. Not joking about traffic though. 4th of July, 1989, Phoenix, AZ, literally FOUR hours in traffic!) She wouldn't have to ask me why we couldn't go this time, her answer would be, "My mom is mean and clearly hates me!"

Why did I think it was so important to keep my kid home on her birthday so we could open presents and eat cake and ice cream together? Because those are our big plans. Fortunately, I realized I was being stupid and insane and called the coach back up and told him I may have been the teensiest bit hasty in my initial response. Luckily, his offer hadn't expired and I was still able to get the free tickets. I'm going to have to milk this hero mom thing for all it's worth.

9 comments:

Ritsumei said...

Congrats for getting it right in the end! I'll bet she loves it.

Alice said...

Have Fun! As crazy as it may be for you, she'll love it and remember this!

Kiirsi said...

Ha ha!! That's super funny.

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

That was a close call! I took Brandon to see Brittany Spears (back when she actually wore all of her clothes), and he LOVED it!

Anonymous said...

Good recovery!! I hope you will report the details of the experience here on your blog.

Ware Family said...

All's well that ends well. You still managed to become Coolest Mom Ever.

Tanya said...

Wow. I was sick when I read that you turned down FREE tickets to anywhere. What a relief you recovered and got those tickets! Hope it was fun!

Anne Chovies said...

Way to recovery, Mom!

Jules said...

Skeptical me says "you'll have more opportunites to be totally mean and hateful to your tween, because just when you think you've got it figured out, they change their minds!" Have fun at the concert!