Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Palindrome I

I've decided I don't have enough stupid pointless stuff on my blog. Yeah, I have some. But is it really enough? And can you have enough? So I don't know why I was thinking about this. Probably because I'm bored (I swear I'm going to go fold the laundry after this). I should be doing a birthday post for Isabella and Noah's birthdays which recently occurred. I'll get to them, there's still more birthday hoopla coming so I'm procrastinating. I don't recommend anyone out there have two kids born withing three weeks of Christmas. So when I was pregnant with Isabella we toyed with naming our kids palindromes (you know words, or names in this case, spelled the same way frontwards or backwards). I've always been a fan of the palindrome, at least as long as I have known what a palindrome is, and of course "I Palindrome I" was a favorite "They Might Be Giants" song back in the early '90s. So it almost worked out for Isabella because Anna was our #2 choice but we ultimately decided Isabella was the name for us and it suits her well so good decision there. Luckily she wasn't a boy because I wanted Bailey, after a character on the '90s drama "Party of Five". Brent would have no part of that, he kept saying the kids would call him Beettle Bailey. As if any child knows who that old newspaper comics character is. But it was a good dodge since there are so many girls named Bailey now. Brent wanted Gabriel, not after the angel or anything close to being sensible. After Gabe Kaplan who played Mr Kotter in the '70s sitcom "Welcome Back Kotter". Not because he loved that show as a kid, just for comedic value. He pictured us dressing our baby up as the guy on Halloween in a little corduroy blazer with a black curly wig and mustache. Apparently we found out Isabella was a girl before we were able to take the boy name thing seriously. So anyway, here is my list of Top 10 Palindrome Names I could have named my kids:

Anna~almost happened
Ava
Ada
Anana~because it means pineapple in French
Elle
Emme~pronounced Emmy
Hannah
Kerek
Level~because it'd be just plain weird
Otto~because J. Otto Seibold is the cool author of the "Mr. Lunch" books and "Olive The Other Reindeer"

Okay, I'm going to do the laundry now.
Seriously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought "Peeweep" would be appropriate for any child. Words are so fun to play with!!

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh I love reading your posts! You are such a good writer and so funny! I am lame and had two kids within a few weeks of Christmas. And Mike's and my birthdays are 2 weeks before Christmas...so our parents are just as bad as us! Lol.

mommyshan said...

I love palindromes!!! However I must not as much as you, I never thought to name my kids that way. I do however, love most of the names you listed! Level??? hee hee

Ware Family said...

How about "racecar?"
Ha ha!
I bet these days you really could find a kid named Racecar, Level, or Kerek.

Cindy said...

Haha Heather! I love racecar! I lived across the street from a Kerek in high school I think. Not sure it was spelled that way though and he went by Kery.