Thursday, March 7, 2013

And something about bacon

I'm feeling better this week. I'm thinking (hoping) that last week was rock bottom. Rock bottom for everything. I did modify my diet. Took out gluten, cut back on dairy, sugar and processed food. I feel much better and I'm unexpectedly down ten lbs. I was retaining a few pounds of fluid the last time I weighed in before this though. My mood is much better than it's been in a long time now and I'm going to adopt a more zen, screw 'em all outlook on life. :) So I'll stick with this diet for the month (that's the plan anyway) and see where I am then.

I finally gave myself permission to read a novel too and happened to stumble across one that looked interesting at the library last Saturday. I hadn't given myself permission in a long time because of school and the giant textbooks that I have to read. The book is called Sugarhouse and is a memoir about a guy and his wife renovating a former crack house in Sugarhouse, Utah. I know! Totally up my alley. It's like I was meant to find this book. I'm almost done and I don't find the parts about the trouble with his family in the Midwest all that interesting but mostly it's entertaining. It has two awesome lines I have to share: "...between shifts (at work) and school I cruise around Sugarhouse, one of two viable neighborhoods for liberal types who want to live in Utah but pretend they're still in America." and this, discussing where to go out to eat: "There's always Training Table, which was locally famous for having, instead of table service, phones at each table- a concept popular with, well, no one, but they make up for it in bacon." Training Table has the best bacon I've ever tasted.

No comments: