Monday, March 29, 2010

Sacrament Meeting First?

So every once in a while I'll be perusing Mormon blogs on the internet or checking facebook or something like that and I'll read something about Sacrament Meeting at church. I'll be reading along and all of a sudden I'm lost, something about this story doesn't make sense. Then it hits me: Oh they don't go home after Sacrament meeting, they go to their classes! Now the story makes sense! My ward is among the .00005% that has Sacrament Meeting last instead of first (don't quote me on these highly exaggerated statistics). Our whole stake has had Sacrament Meeting last since the dawn of time I guess, or at least the dawn of the Stake, and the Stake we split off of before it. So we've been going to Sacrament Meeting last for the last 8 1/2 years. Which was a DELIGHT when the kids were little of course and needing a nap after almost two hours at church already. Now that they are 7, 10 and 12 we could care less. We don't understand why most everyone else is complaining about it still.* The seat saving still bugs me on occasion but I can get a seat in the Chapel a couple of times a month these days so it's fine. There was a period of about three years when I could rarely get a seat in the chapel so it was hard chairs in the cultural hall for me every week. Not very fun for my never completely healed from that one trip to the bouncy house with the kids for Family Home Evening one night in 2001 tailbone injury. I don't know why I didn't just abandon all pride and get that doughnut already. Now when I hear people talking about Sacrament Meeting being first (once I figure out that is what they are talking about) I think, You have Sacrament Meeting first? Well that's weird...


*Kidding, I feel for you, young parents.

4 comments:

Ware Family said...

I have to admit, that was on the "pros" side to moving--going to a ward with sacrament meeting first. Remember when we had church starting at 2? That was the WORST! Sacrament meeting last was seriously the bane of my Sunday existence since we had (and still have) little ones.
I had totally forgotten about that.
One of these days that won't matter so much. It will be the 9am church with teenagers that we will all start dreading.
Cindy, you crack me up!

Cindy said...

I can't wait for that. I already have a hard enough time getting Noah up in the morning. I think I've blocked 2 o'clock church from my mind!

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

I've never been one of the lucky parents whose kids actually fell asleep during Sacrament meeting, so it hasn't made much differece either way. FYI - we have it first.

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

And I obviously haven't learned how to spell "difference" yet...