Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Marla

So I mentioned the four year old artist I was learning about for my art class in my last post. I thought I'd share a couple of her paintings here on the blog. Her name is Marla Olmstead and she is now 9 or 10. When the documentary about her and her art was made she was four and had made over $300,000 on her paintings. I'm not sure if any of these are recent or were done when she was four. I do think they are beautiful and interesting paintings. Makes me wonder if I could get Noah to do some abstract art for our family room. Or heck, maybe I should do some myself!





5 comments:

Ritsumei said...

That's pretty interesting! I wonder who they got to buy the first one, and how the whole thing got started.

Cindy said...

Actually, her parents had a friend who hung some up in his coffee shop just for fun and someone offered $250 for one of them. Then a local dealer saw one at a friend's house and decided to do a show, got the local paper involved and the article was picked up by the New York Times. It all turned controversial when an art critic accused her dad of helping her. Nothing was completely settled by the end of the documentary. It was sort of left up to the viewer to decide for themselves if he helped her and how much. I tend to think he probably gave her some guidance along the way, just as any parent would have.

Kayleigh Mattison Hales said...

I'm going to start selling Kayleigh's finger paintings. She's ALMOST four.

Anonymous said...

We humans are such skeptics - we rarely take anything at face value. But does it really matter?? The paintings are wonderful and enjoyable to look at. A photographer visited the family and her report was, "Marla is adorable. It’s possible her dad had a heavy hand in these, but in that case, I like his paintings (he’s pretty cute too). I agree! It is what it is!!

Cindy said...

I agree, Cathy. I don't think it matters if he helped her or not. They are still pretty cool paintings.